Iain specialises in litigation support and expert witness assignments, in particular those involving business valuations or complex loss of profits claims. He has been instructed as an expert in proceedings before courts and arbitral tribunals in a number of jurisdictions including the UK, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, India, Australia and the BVI and has been cross examined on a number of occasions.
Iain is qualified as a Chartered Accountant in both England (ICAEW) and Singapore (ISCA), he is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investments and he holds their Diploma as well as the ICAEW’s Corporate Finance Diploma. He is a member of the American Society of Appraisers and the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts, two of the leading business valuation professional bodies, and has passed both bodies’ business valuation accreditation exams. He is also qualified as a Chartered Valuer and Appraiser in Singapore, an associate member of the UK Society of Share and Business Valuers and a Fellow of the Expert Witness Institute.
Iain has managed over 150 cases and has been appointed personally as an independent expert on dozens of occasions. He has advised clients and testified on a range of matters including:
- valuation of mature businesses;
- valuation of early-stage joint ventures and start-up projects;
- valuation of minority interests in shareholder oppression claims;
- valuation of intangible assets including software;
- quantification of losses resulting from aborted joint ventures and projects;
- diminution in value claims following the breach of SPA warranties;
- GAAP compliance under differing European, Asian and Australian regulations; the content, format and calculation of completion accounts;
- allegations of fraud or corrupt practices.
While his work necessarily involves a variety of industries, Iain maintains a keen interest in the maritime sector having previously worked at a firm with a strong reputation for advising ship owners and managers and having been engaged in a number of maritime disputes. He is a supporting member of the LMAA and a member of both the MLAS and IMSML and has served as a tribunal-appointed expert in an UNCLOS arbitration.
Iain has been involved in the quantification of high value loss of profit claims around the world, including catastrophe losses suffered by businesses following the 2010 Chilean Earthquake, 2011 Japanese (Great Tohoku) Earthquake/Tsunami and 2011 Thai Floods.